Monday, January 19, 2015

Golden Tote Mystery Tote January 2015 Review

Is it wrong that I have no desire to write a Loot crate review? I'll get around to it, but it'll be totally boring :)

Instead, let's talk about clothes for women. Any complaints? So, I couldn't just stop at Stitch Fix, although I probably should have since it was pretty perfect. I had to go and get myself a Golden Tote mystery tote.

So the draw of the Golden Tote is that it's so much more affordable than it's competitors.
Their regular totes sell for $49 for 2-3 items or $149 for 5-7 items. The mystery tote is $60 for 4 items and is only available on certain occasions. These prices do not include shipping. So, they sucked me in with an email announcing the mystery tote's arrival.

Did I mention I just had a baby? He's 7 weeks old and I'm not quite back to my regular size. But did this occur to me when I ordered the mystery tote? Not so much, because I'd ordered my regular size from Stitch Fix and that all fit.

But what I failed to consider was that my Stitch Fix was curated based on my profile, and the Golden Tote mystery tote was a "one-size-fits-all" sort of thing. Duh!

This was my first experience with Golden Tote and here's what I got.


I wasn't very happy.

Now I realize, I take pretty good pictures, but these items all have major flaws and like it or not I'm going to tell you all of them.

Let's start with the Le Lis. 



You know how your hands get all scratchy when you've done a ton of cleaning? Well my hands are a mess with the dry cold weather in combination with constant washing of baby stuff. I could hardly pick this blouse up, it felt so horrible on my cracked hands. I put the thing on, knowing the outcome. Horizontal stripes, are you kidding me?!? How was this curated with a broad audience in mind. How many people do you know that can wear stripes?

Additionally, this top is sheer, requiring you find something to wear under it. Good luck with that given the length, which hits around the navel. Bleh.

Then there was the first Puella.



So, this blouse literally smashed my already small chest and felt like chainmail armor on my skinny arms. God bless the woman that looks good in this frock. I had to look up what frock meant just now, and yes, this qualifies. The color does nothing to help it out.

Oddly, this was the first thing I sold. I couldn't believe it! I listed it on a Facebook Golden Tote group and it was snatched up immediately.

Then there was this Puella.




If you can get past the old fashioned pattern and get this dress on, after trying to find undergarments that don't peak out, just try and get used to that collar! I would've given this the time of day if not for the bare shoulders, I just can't do it. And this dress is so shapeless, pear-unflattering.

Last, the Color Thread




I really wanted this to work, I knew immediately the others weren't for me. I could live with this, it's mostly black and kind of cute. But they killed that possibility when they sewed that bottom panel in. It has absolutely zero give, it wouldn't fit over my hips! Another Golden Tote shopper told me she had to cut slits in it to wear it. That made me feel a little better, but not really.

So, I'm stuck with this stuff and I'll try and resell it. Bummer. Back to Stitch Fix. Another Golden Toter asked if I'd try Golden Tote again, minus the mystery. Not a chance. This mystery tote made me realize that Puella isn't my style, and apparently those show up in every tote.

Sigh. My husband really wishes this would have worked out so I wouldn't have been so grumpy this weekend. Maybe he'll feel so sorry for me that he will order me a Stitch Fix for my upcoming birthday?? (hint, hint)

In case you are crazy and want to try Golden Tote, use this link so I can get credit:
https://www.goldentote.com/points/invitation/new/from/NDgzMzQ,/

I may just be crazy enough to try it again. Okay, no. But you can actually shop the site, too. That I would try.

Better yet, get your Stitch Fix on:
http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-7776374-12109076-1427263643000

No comments:

Post a Comment