Monday, May 7, 2018

A Simple Beach Themed Display + Sand Dollar Cookie Recipe

This past weekend I popped up at the Rossmoor Community festival, what a blast! The weather was gorgeous so I decided on a beach theme. I thought I'd share a few pictures, shopping links for decorations, some die cut files and the super easy recipe I used for sand dollar cookies.

I had just a week to throw it together since I'd just gotten back from a company incentive trip to Paris. If you find yourself in a bind to put together a last minute vendor event display, I've got you covered!


First, you can't have a beach party without some seashells. My go to for last minute supplies is Amazon Prime. I was excited to find a big assortment of nautical items to pick from, even better, with a one day shipping option.


The Chloe + Isabel summer collection Côte D'Azur is all about starfish, mermaids, shells and pearls so that was my inspiration. Versatility is key. First thing I grabbed was a set of four 4 inch baking shells. I may or may not ever bake with these, but how cute are they with the grey pearl shimmer sixlets I found for just a dollar at Walmart?! Later on I'll likely use them for stud earrings or rings.

Let's talk just a second about those little grey pearls though. This was the perfect conversation starter. People did not believe me when I said they were chocolate, I felt like I was bean boozling them! A simple treat can go along way in breaking the ice.

The grey was a perfect contrast to the white shells, but they come in a ton of colors if you need something else.



I saw the phrase "Mermaid Kisses and Starfish Wishes" all over Pinterest when I started planning and was just so happy to find a stand up sign for my table display with this quote. It's 12 x 6 inches, perfect for a table top. The turquoise color sealed the deal for me, it's our signature jewelry color!

I also ordered the Darice 6 foot natural clam shell garland. I honestly thought all these shells would arrive with a little damage and was pleasantly surprised by how sturdy they were. I hung the garland down the side of my pop up canopy tent (secured with an alligator clip, a must have for these events) and the length was perfect.



I'm sure you could use it to drape across the front of a table or top of the tent. I just liked the way it looked hanging and thought it was a good balance since my second, smaller table was on the other side of the tent.

I try to keep costs at a minimum when doing a vendor event as they traditionally aren't great for same day sales, so I decided to make cookies from scratch instead of giving away goody bags. I had all of the ingredients on hand to make this sand dollar cookie recipe except almonds and cinnamon. I found cinnamon at Walmart for $1, as well as a lace table cloth I needed last second.



I picked up the honey roasted almonds from Trader Joes. If you ever need nuts, you'll find the best variety there. I could eat these by the handful, so good!

Here's the recipe I used

Sand Dollar Cookies

Yield 15 - 3 inch cookies (I made 2 batches). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Beat wet ingredients in a medium bowl until whipped:
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg

Mix in blendedm dry ingredients until a shortbread type dough forms:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

Use a pampered chef cookie scoop (buy one here) and drop the batter on a parchment lined cookie sheet with 3 inches between. Press the dough down with a mason jar and use your fingers to press down any sections that aren't even in the center. Leave the raw edges as is for the look you see in the pictures.



Sprinkle the tops of the pressed cookies with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. I went easy on the cinnamon for a more natural color, and because I'm not a huge fan of cinnamon. 

Finish by pressing 5 honey roasted almond slivers in center of the cookie, forming a star. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browning. Cool on a cookie rack. Fini! 


When we had down time I handed cookies out to my fellow vendors. They were a hit!

I added last minute touches to the table with some simple die cuts using my Silhouette Cameo and some shimmer and kraft paper I had on hand. I've uploaded the files for the shells here and the starfish border here.

     

If you just so happen to need a fabulous mermaid bib necklace to wear, look no further! You can find this whimsical must-have for summer here:
https://www.chloeandisabel.com/products/N131G/layered-scales-metal-bib-necklace?m=melanierhoades



If you need something a little more subtle, or saw something else in this post you can't live without, view the entire under the sea collection here:
https://www.chloeandisabel.com/boutique/melanierhoades/shop/collection/105732/new-arrivals-d4123df1-5072-4cf8-a4ce-e04313a3901b

If you'd like to Pin the recipe, die cut files or shopping links, here's a link to my Pinterest profile: https://www.pinterest.com/moderntypo/

Thanks for stopping by! I hope your beach party is a blast. "Sea" you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment