Monday, October 8, 2012

My Husband is Awesome - Don't Be Jealous

Remember that post where I was complaining about how hard my life is (2 jobs, Etsy, kids, etc)? Well, one thing I failed to mention is that I have a pretty amazing husband who helps me. Paul is one of those rare, gentleman like guys, who also happens to be very handy and hardworking. I don't really need to prove it, because anyone who knows Paul knows it. But I just want to make sure he knows that I know it.




This isn't some "knight on a white horse" story, just my everyday life. My tail light had been out for a week or so and yesterday Paul decided to fix it. It was a Sunday, and since I'd worked on Saturday it was really his only day off, but he wanted to get it done. I can't help but think what the average husband would have done under the circumstances...run it up to the mechanic, let someone else handle it. But even after hitting not one automotive store (with a 3 year old, by the way), but 2 stores to find the part, Paul didn't give up and let someone else deal with it. He tried one more store and found the part.


Okay, the story isn't over yet. If it were, that would be just fine. So when he got home from the store I was a bit of a mess. I admit, I'd gotten frustrated that he was gone a long time but I figured he was too. But while he was gone I noticed that I'd misplaced a ring that was really special to me. I'm not kidding, I'd spent almost an hour looking for it and already gotten to the point of "God is just trying to teach me not to value things" when he got home. He could see my frustration and insisted I go ahead and go on a bike ride with the kids like we'd planned and he'd look for the ring.

Not 10 minutes later he text me with a picture of the ring. I'm pretty sure my kids don't know it but my eyes just welled up. I know these are silly things, head lights, finding lost things. But there's so much more to what he does for me. Even though it made it more difficult, he took my son with him to the store to give me a break. Even though I was snappy when he got home, he looked for my ring. And THEN when I got back he had not only fixed the light, but he had thoroughly cleaned out the plastic that surrounds the light where it had yellowed over time.

I could actually go on and on about all the nice things he does, like packing diaper bags, waking up in the middle of the night with the babies, or helping me with my ridiculous craft projects and entrepreneurial ideas, but I'd never really be able to put into words how grateful I am for all that he does.



Recently someone had said something to me about how people will always disappoint you. There have been a lot of people in my life who have disappointed me, it's true. But I'm glad that the hopeless romantic side of me didn't give up on the idea of finding someone because I have. And by every measure, he has exceeded my expectations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment