Tuesday, August 28, 2018

When your Creative Outlet Becomes a Source of Income

Raise your hand if you're a bit of a nerd. Most people don't realize I'm a dietitian! I worked in healthcare for over 10 years, but you won't find it on my resume. In fact, you won't find my resume. When baby #4 came along, I left the traditional working world. 

Since, I've done several gigs trying to find the perfect balance between caring for and providing for my family. Initially I panicked and took a position at Stitch Fix working as a stylist from home. Sounds like a dream, right? One step forward, two steps back. I was still letting someone else spend my time.

Now I'm running my own Etsy shop and calling all the shots. Before I left my medical career, I'd created Modern Typography as a creative outlet. I was casually listing items for sale, and really never thought it would become anything. When I quit my job I was able to devote more time to developing it. I'm happy to say it's become a constant stream of income for my family.

This reminds me of something I recently heard at a conference.


"There is no downside to a side hustle. There are only benefits to building more than one source of income. A side hustle is the new job security." Forbes.

The number one objection I hear when I suggest Etsy as a source of income is "I'm not creative". First of all, I believe everyone has creative talent, some haven't developed it, others haven't pursued it. Second, not all work on Etsy is creative! Folks sell supplies, antiques, party supplies (store bought items with slight modifications) and much more. There's unlimited potential on Amazon handmade, as well.

The second objection I hear is "Etsy charges fees". It's 20 cents to list an item folks, 5 for a dollar. If you need a spot, I've got you. Etsy takes 5% IF your item sells and the customer pays shipping. Normally I would say you have to spend money to make money but that's hardly the case here. You can fill an Etsy shop with 100 listings (the same items listed several times) for $20. If you sell a blanket for $30 that cost you $5 to make, you've started to turn a profit.

In addition to running my Etsy business, I also contract myself out to Chloe + Isabel and Discovery Toys. Yes, yes, these are network marketing companies, you caught me! But technology has made it possible for me to use my skills to share links, pictures, promotional materials and incentives online and meet new friends and customers. I use my blog, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook accounts to share the products I love with people who have similar interests. I provide reviews, insight into how to get  the most out of your purchase, customer service, and my customers appreciate me and I them. 

I have to add, I've made more meaningful friendships in just two years doing this than I have in all my years of working anywhere else. It's so much more than a source of income.


Maybe you're reading this and wondering if it's time for a change. I posted this the other day, maybe it will resonate with you. The world needs more women like you. You are uniquely talented and brilliant by God's design and have something wonderful to offer.

Are you giving the best of yourself, your talents, your skills to something or someone that doesn't serve you or your family? Maybe it's time to make a change.

I'll leave you with this. I once went job hunting. Hired myself. Never looked back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment