Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Where to Shop Toys this Christmas Now that the Big Giraffe is Gone

It suddenly hit me the other day, the biggest toy store in town is out of business. No more big toy catalog for kids to circle with their Christmas wants. What is this world coming to? Where will we shop for toys?!

Okay really, I'm not serious. I'm not worried about a Toypocalypse. And I'm definitely not worried about where my kids will get ideas for their Christmas list. In fact, I'm kind of happy to see less suggestive advertising and persuasive displays.


Will people turn to small businesses this Christmas? I hope so. I think deep down we are all a bit Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail. I mean sure, we're still going to order the "oops I forgot"s on Amazon Prime December 22nd. But I bet we'll see more people in those adorable mom & pop toy stores come the holidays. Admit it, one just popped up in your mind and you thought about how much you love that store.

It's also an opportunity to support friends with home based businesses. Grab a "Buddy" from your Scentsy buddy, some bath bombs from your Perfectly Posh girl, a little Tupperware Mini Pitcher Set from your neighbor, some cute little Matilda Jane accessories from your friend of a friend.


I'm thinking this Christmas for my own kids I'll do "Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read!"

Something all kids need is kid-powered toys. Not that junk they'll play with on Christmas day and forget about the next day, next summer's garage sale stuff (Had a Toy Story moment there). Real toys. Maybe a toy that'll teach them a thing or two.

I can't say enough good things about Discovery Toys. In fact, I love them so much I joined them. I got to looking around my house and realized I have 15+ DT toys, games, books and puzzles, most of which I've had over 8 years! This toys were built to last. They've got something for every type of learner, every age and stage.

Have a youngin? Start with the Measure Up Cups. There are endless ways to use these from color sorting to play doh pressing.


    

From there you're going to need Playful Patterns. These are like puzzles on steroids. Sure, you can buy your kids the traditional rack of wooden puzzles and those have their place. But if you want to save some space and get the most for your money, this thoughtfully made toy will grow with your child and provide layers of learning.




This little guy started playing with Playful Patterns at 2, and big brother who's 7 still enjoys it.

These two also enjoy Motor Works, a set of 4 vehicles you can build and take apart with a power tool! Don't worry mom & dad, they aren't real tools.

Marbleworks is another great toy that's great for big families across all ages. We even games for old folks like you and me! Check out my website for the full line up: http://www.discoverytoys.com/ModernToys

Want to see more? We're going to share lots of videos as we grow our collection. You can follow us on Youtube here. Check out George's first video demonstration, how to play Word Flip solo.




If you're not quite ready to shop for Christmas but you want to be able to find my shop again, please like my Facebook Page Discovery Toys with Melanie. You can click the "Shop Now" button anytime to view and purchase toys on my website.

I also have toy catalogs if your kids love to get mail. Send me an email if you'd like one at moderntypography@aol.com

Christmas isn't looking so bleak after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment